Tax information

Claiming Exemption from Withholding

The IRS requires you to complete a new W-4 form each year if you are claiming exemption from tax withholding. If you wish to claim exemption from withholding, you must make this choice on UCPath online.

Update your Federal Withholding form (W-4)


The W-2 form reports your annual wages and the amount of taxes withheld from your paycheck. You will need this form in order to do your Tax Return.

Sign up for Your Electronic W-2

  • Visit UCPath online and click on Employee Actions > Income and Taxes> Enroll to Receive Online W-2.
  • If your current status says CONSENT RECEIVED, then you do not have to do anything.
  • Once you’ve signed up, all notifications pertaining to your W-2 will be sent to your preferred email address on file in the UCPath system.


Please note Lili and Katherine cannot answer tax information questions. For these questions please refer to the UCPath website tab Ask UCPath

This form is your Withholding Allowance Certificate. The way you fill out this form determines how much tax we will withhold from your paycheck.

From the IRS page:

“If you are a student, you are not automatically exempt. If you work only part-time or only during the summer, you may qualify for exemption from withholding.

The Withholding Calculator is a tool on designed to help you determine how to have the right amount of tax withheld from your paycheck. When you use the Withholding Calculator, it will help you determine if you need to adjust you withholding and submit a new Form W-4 to your employer.

Your status as a full-time student doesn’t exempt you from federal income taxes. If you’re a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident, the factors that determine whether you owe federal income taxes or must file a federal income tax return include:

  • The amount of your earned and unearned income
  • Whether you can be claimed as a dependent on another person’s tax return
  • Your filing status, and
  • Your age”

You can update your W-4 form when you want through the year on UC Path. If you claim Federal Tax Exemption, remember to fill out a new W-4 at every beginning of the year.